DrewB's Reviews > The Grapes of Wrath

The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

M 50x66
Apr 11, 2011

Read from March 15 to April 11, 2011

I've only recently been making an effort at reading consistently (a few months now). This is the first lengthy American classic I've had a go at, and boy, this book was a really interesting read.

I had been warned of how boring this book is, and I got off to a slow start. However, I kept gathering steam as I progressed. Due to its structure and its length, (1) I am SO grateful I was not forced to read this earlier in high school, and (2) if you're going to read this, you need to let yourself get into it. By that, I mean that you need to let yourself ponder the ideas and relationships that Steinbeck poses and creates. If you don't let this happen, I can imagine this book dragging on forever and never really being of any interest.

There are a couple of chapters/passages where I was like, "Wow, this is incredible writing." Steinbeck really does just kill it sometimes - in a good way.

Along similar lines, this is also a book with which I was able to submerge myself into the give setting. In the end, (view spoiler)

Overall, I would never say I enjoyed this book - it's not supposed to be enjoyed. But, it makes you think about a lot of things, it immerses you into the setting, and develops a relationship with characters in a way I imagine few books can. The command of language and poetry of the writing is hard not to be impressed by at several points. As somebody else said, this should be required reading for every American over 30.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grapes of Wrath.

04/11/2011 page 370
80.0% "...and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the hungry there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the grapes of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage."
show 1 hidden update…