Silvana's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: classics, dark-haunting
Read in January, 2008

This book is horrifying. I'm scared like hell. Totally.
I was expecting an adventure book telling about some children who got stranded in an island, but ended up with goosebumps.

A bit of synopsis: A number of English school boys suffered from a plane accident causing them to get stranded in an uninhibited island. The period was maybe during the World War II. Trying to be civilized, they elected a leader for themselves as well started the division of tasks (hunters, fire-watchers, etc). Things turned bad when there's a power struggle between the group leaders, worsened by various sightings of a monster in the island. No, don't think about "Lost" because this is way different.

No wonder I had goosebumps at the end, because this book is so true to what happens in the world today. When men tried to govern themselves (and started the whole process with goodwill inside), but blinded with egotism and lust for power, tragedy and destruction in society are inevitable.

Human nature is corrupt, it only takes a trivial thing to make its nature controlled by nothing but malice. This book represents a perfect allegory for men. Culture fails repeatedly and no matter how hard we can repress it, nothing will ever stop the drive to become savages.

Despite its length and easy-to-read narration, this is certainly one of the most haunting, powerful books I've ever read. Now I know why this book is listed in so many lists of greatest books in the 20th century.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Silvana Thanks! I've always enjoyed recommending good books to others

message 2: by 72virgins (new)

72virgins First of all: Have you ever been to a star trek convention? cuz your haircut looks like spock. it's awesome. Must make halloween easier.

Second: I hope your head replaces the boar's.

Crystal Christian I enjoyed your review quite a bit. You have a very intellectual tone and explain yourself thoroughly. I agree with many of your points and your interpretation of the meaning of this novel. Thank you for a wonderful review.

message 4: by Amneris (new) - added it

Amneris Lopez You convinced me... I'm reading this!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Darn it. I was just thinking about Lost and how amazing that show was...until you told me it was nothing like it. :]

Mathis I agree with Crystal! Nice synopsis.

Silvana thank you all :)

message 8: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I actually laughed at myself out loud for thinking of Lost while reading the first few sentences and then you said it's not Lost. Thanks. I'm going to read this.

Silvana Jen wrote: "I actually laughed at myself out loud for thinking of Lost while reading the first few sentences and then you said it's not Lost. Thanks. I'm going to read this."

Haha, I know some people would have the same thoughts as you hence I wrote it :D

Happy reading, you'll love this book.

message 10: by Po (new) - added it

Po love ur review.

Silvana Po wrote: "love ur review."

Terima kasih!

message 12: by JAE (new) - rated it 4 stars

JAE I really like your review, couldn't agree more - this book was creepy! However, the story did seem a little bit slow for me at times.

Silvana Thanks. Well, at least it was (I think) less than 250 pages :)

Molly If anyoneone is wondering, Golding wrote this after WWII, and based it on a possible WWIII apocalypse. Great review!

Eni-meeni-miny-mo-sichuk yes... oh my gosh it was so weird and horrifying!

Rachel Nielsen how was it horrifying? it was freaking boring! i thought they were all gonna end up eating each other or something. if you want to read horrifying, read the hunger games

Silvana Rachel wrote: "how was it horrifying? it was freaking boring! i thought they were all gonna end up eating each other or something. if you want to read horrifying, read the hunger games"

Yes, I've read the Hunger Games trilogy. Not scary.
Lord of the Flies is a classic and I don't see THG will join its path.

But to each his/her own [taste], I guess :)

message 18: by Sharyl (new) - added it

Sharyl Thanks for writing the great review. You've peaked my interest

message 19: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea Koemm So true man cannot rule themselves successfully! Can't wait to read!

Chris Bumpas The Hunger Games is a joke compared to this book.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

A true test at what happens when rules are ignored and the mad rule the home

George Schneider A woman said to me once that this was a kids book.... smh .... oh how us humans can be

Celine Roelse It's in words!