Silvana's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

Dec 04, 13

bookshelves: classics, dark-haunting
Read in January, 2008

This book is horrifying. I'm scared like hell. Totally.
I was expecting an adventure book telling about some children who got stranded in an island, but ended up with goosebumps.

A bit of synopsis: A number of English school boys suffered from a plane accident causing them to get stranded in an uninhibited island. The period was maybe during the World War II. Trying to be civilized, they elected a leader for themselves as well started the division of tasks (hunters, fire-watchers, etc). Things turned bad when there's a power struggle between the group leaders, worsened by various sightings of a monster in the island. No, don't think about "Lost" because this is way different.

No wonder I had goosebumps at the end, because this book is so true to what happens in the world today. When men tried to govern themselves (and started the whole process with goodwill inside), but blinded with egotism and lust for power, tragedy and destruction in society are inevitable.

Human nature is corrupt, it only takes a trivial thing to make its nature controlled by nothing but malice. This book represents a perfect allegory for men. Culture fails repeatedly and no matter how hard we can repress it, nothing will ever stop the drive to become savages.

Despite its length and easy-to-read narration, this is certainly one of the most haunting, powerful books I've ever read. Now I know why this book is listed in so many lists of greatest books in the 20th century.
469 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

Silvana Thanks! I've always enjoyed recommending good books to others

message 2: by 72virgins (new)

72virgins First of all: Have you ever been to a star trek convention? cuz your haircut looks like spock. it's awesome. Must make halloween easier.

Second: I hope your head replaces the boar's.

Crystal Christian I enjoyed your review quite a bit. You have a very intellectual tone and explain yourself thoroughly. I agree with many of your points and your interpretation of the meaning of this novel. Thank you for a wonderful review.

message 4: by Amneris (new) - added it

Amneris Lopez You convinced me... I'm reading this!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Darn it. I was just thinking about Lost and how amazing that show was...until you told me it was nothing like it. :]

Mathis I agree with Crystal! Nice synopsis.

Silvana thank you all :)

message 8: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I actually laughed at myself out loud for thinking of Lost while reading the first few sentences and then you said it's not Lost. Thanks. I'm going to read this.

Silvana Jen wrote: "I actually laughed at myself out loud for thinking of Lost while reading the first few sentences and then you said it's not Lost. Thanks. I'm going to read this."

Haha, I know some people would have the same thoughts as you hence I wrote it :D

Happy reading, you'll love this book.

message 10: by Po (new) - added it

Po love ur review.

Silvana Po wrote: "love ur review."

Terima kasih!

message 12: by JAE (new) - rated it 4 stars

JAE I really like your review, couldn't agree more - this book was creepy! However, the story did seem a little bit slow for me at times.

Silvana Thanks. Well, at least it was (I think) less than 250 pages :)

Molly If anyoneone is wondering, Golding wrote this after WWII, and based it on a possible WWIII apocalypse. Great review!

message 15: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah Mosichuk yes... oh my gosh it was so weird and horrifying!

Rachel Nielsen how was it horrifying? it was freaking boring! i thought they were all gonna end up eating each other or something. if you want to read horrifying, read the hunger games

Silvana Rachel wrote: "how was it horrifying? it was freaking boring! i thought they were all gonna end up eating each other or something. if you want to read horrifying, read the hunger games"

Yes, I've read the Hunger Games trilogy. Not scary.
Lord of the Flies is a classic and I don't see THG will join its path.

But to each his/her own [taste], I guess :)

message 18: by Sharyl (new) - added it

Sharyl Thanks for writing the great review. You've peaked my interest

message 19: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea Koemm So true man cannot rule themselves successfully! Can't wait to read!

Chris Bumpas The Hunger Games is a joke compared to this book.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

A true test at what happens when rules are ignored and the mad rule the home

George Schneider A woman said to me once that this was a kids book.... smh .... oh how us humans can be

Celine Roelse It's in words!

Garrett Great review . I think this shows how some people just can't get along and no matter what they have they resort to violence to take what they want

message 25: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam I agree with your review. But do you think it's just a flaw in men, blood-lust and the hunger for power, that corrupts our society time and time again? Or do you think it's a flaw in everyone's nature? I'm just curious :)

Garrett I say a it's human nature men or women just historical men have been in more position to abuse the power they been given and resort to violence to get what they want

Silvana Agree with Garrett. All of us have that tendency, but the degree differ depending on life experience, social exposure and of course, situation.

Holley I really agree with your review! I just finished the book myself and greatly enjoyed it. I will say that I disagree that this isn't like Lost. While reading LOTF, I saw a lot of similarities between it and Lost.

message 29: by Natalya (new)

Natalya I already have it in my hands... Scared, but your review proved it something to try out.

Zorawar Not scary, but some scenes were truly horrifying. I'm vegetarian, and I'm talking about the scenes in which the pigs were killed. These scenes were the only reason I didn't watch the adaptations.

Julio I learned about this book when I read The Lucifer Effect by Dr. Phillip Zimbardo. Now, my interest was even more aroused after I saw your review. Thanks! I will find this book in the bookstore tomorrow.

message 32: by Tingting (new)

Tingting Would you think it would be too freaky for a 14 year old? I've always wanted to read this book, but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't scar for life.

Silvana I think it is fine as long as afterward there is an adult who already read the book that can explain the context, just in case.

Carissa Lusk Horrifying is the correct word! Do not finish this book as a night-time read, haha. It took me forever to get my mind settled to go to sleep.

Silvana Yup, it is a different kind of scary. I think I'll still be horrified if I read it in broad daylight.

Mabel I'm scared like hell too......I'd do anything to make William Golding change what happened to certain characters....I've just finished the book and I'm paralysed. It's haunting.

Silvana Yes, that is why I never reread the book. Too scary.

Henry Avila Jules Verne would not be pleased but all writers steal from each other, Silvana.

Silvana Aha, so the plot is similar with Verne's book you just read, right? I thought so too.

Henry Avila Except the Verne book the boys were friends the Golding one, not !

message 41: by Silvana (last edited May 24, 2015 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Silvana I gotta read that book. It's been eons since my last Verne.