Cindy's Reviews > Dhalgren

Mar 20, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, own, whack-a-doo
Read from March 10 to 20, 2011 — I own a copy

I just don't know.

So, picture Lost meets Burning Man. Seriously. Imagine a bunch of bohemian hippie types having lots of sex in a weirdly cut-off place that has weird phenomenon and is out-of-time. Not like time's run out, but weird stuff happening with time itself.

Can't picture it?

Also, you should throw in a bit of:
Wizard of Oz (for the man-behind-the-curtain)
The Postman (for the lone-wolf lead character who becomes legend)
Fight Club (for the violence)
And some more books/stories/movies that throw race, sexuality and gender into question.

Yeah.

I've read that Dhalgren is something akin to Joyce - Joycian SF? I've never read any Joyce, but there is an element of stream-of-consciousness and the narrator messing with us and all sorts of literary references. It's not an easy read.

I'm not sure if I really liked it. I didn't not like it? It was certainly an experience that I've never had before in SF, and probably never will.

Trippy, man.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dhalgren.

03/14/2011 page 282
35.0% "Trippy."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by TK421 (new) - added it

TK421 This is one of those books that I often look at, and then put back on my shelf. I love the author. I even teach one of his books in one of my communication classes. But I agree with your assessment, Joycian SF is hard to get excited about...I fear my head would explode.

message 2: by Cindy (last edited Mar 24, 2011 11:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cindy Gavin wrote: "I even teach one of his books in one of my communication classes."

Oooh, which one? I'm way more intrigued by his SF analysis than I am about his actual SF. Although I might read Babel-17?

message 3: by TK421 (new) - added it

TK421 Cindy wrote: "Gavin wrote: "I even teach one of his books in one of my communication classes."

Oooh, which one? I'm way more intrigued by his SF analysis than I am about his actual SF. Although I might read [bo..."

I teach his Babel-17. I love assigning this to freshmen and have them look at me like I'm off my rocker. Why would we read a science fiction book in a communications course? Read the book, I tell them. Afterwards, a few brave souls will tell me something like: "I see why you assigned it. It's all about the power of language or something." Inwardly, I always retort: "Or something." But at least I get the satisfaction that I challenged them on some level.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert That review was mippy, tran.