Andy's Reviews > The Border Lords

The Border Lords by T. Jefferson Parker

Apr 22, 2011

Read from April 06 to 14, 2011

First off, I apologize profusely for not getting a review out sooner than a week after I finished the book... life happens, right? Anyway, this book, the fourth in the Charlie Hood series, was no slouch, if you know what I mean. There were some very cool parts in the book, and there was a mystery in the mystery, which was a nice surprise and change from Parker regular formula. I will say that the metaphysical aspect, which I normally would really dig, fell a little short in this entry of the series. There was some lame attempt at making a vampire connection (sort of), and that while it was an ambitious attempt it just felt a little flat, and removed from the bulk of the story, even though it was one of the main plot points of the novel. Let me explain in detail a little more...

Oz, who is undercover, is exposed to a disease that renders him sort of vampire like (I'm purposely leaving out some key components). Hood's goal is to get in touch with Oz because he is off mission. The mystery is what happened to Oz, but also, who exposed him to the disease. Pretty good, suspenseful stuff, but at times I felt like Parker was bandwagoning it with the vampire references.

The weakest character, or the one that I really do not like is still the son of Hood's former lover. He is a two-faced, traitorous, asshole who deserves to be punished most severely... However, his wife seems really nice and pretty, so who knows what will happen.

I was a little sad that Charlie was sort of absent through the whole novel as well. The novel focused on Oz, his wife, and the cartels, and Hood was sorely missed. I get what Parker is doing, but don't deny us the one character that we keep coming back for... HOOD!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Border Lords.