Cinny's Reviews > Safe Haven

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

U_50x66
Jan 20, 11

Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I was surprised as I was reading Safe Haven how much I disliked the story. The Guardian is probably my favorite Nicholas Sparks book, and everyone said that Safe Haven was reminiscent of that story. I didn't think it was AT ALL. Actually, as I type this, I'm realizing just how much I really disliked Safe Haven.

There was no depth to the characters. Katie was sweet. Alex was a good guy. Katie's husband (I've already forgotten his name) was a lunatic. There was no in between. I kept waiting for a reason for Katie's husband to be crazy - abuse as a kid, or something - but it was never shown. Neither Katie nor Alex had any bad habits - unless you count saying "I love you" after a first date as a bad habit. And the kids....the kids, the kids, the kids. They were sweet too. Katie, Alex and the kids are going to have a nice, happy, sweet, family that never has any problems.

For some reason, I also took issue with the "Jo" storyline. It felt contrived. The explanation was lame.

The Katie's husband storyline that was intertwined with the rest of the story was annoying. It reminded me of a bad Nora Roberts book. There was no pacing. And then there was the end: the bad guy tried to kill our heroine but failed. Then the bow fell out of the sky and the storyline was wrapped up neatly.

The problem that I've had with the last few of Nicholas Sparks novels, really since The Choice, is that it feels like he is following a set pattern now. He isn't taking any chances with his stories...and that makes me sad, because I've been an avid NS reader since The Notebook.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Safe Haven.