Bark's Book Nonsense's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Compendium 1

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 by Robert Kirkman

Apr 29, 11

bookshelves: graphic-novel, horror, disturbing
Read from January 20 to April 26, 2011

I cannot believe the dark places this graphic novel delves. No one, and I mean no one, is safe in this ongoing saga. It takes place after the dead have risen and destroyed everything and follows a handful of often rotating survivors as they try to get by in a frightening new world. It starts out a little slow as everything is set up but once it gets going I didn't want to put it down.

It is less focused on the zombies than its core of characters and their interaction and relationships but there is plenty of gore to go around. It's horrible, sad and unputtdownable. This volume collects issues 1 - 48 of the long running series and man is this sucker heavy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Compendium 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bark's Book Nonsense This sucker must weight 20 lbs! Hey, I think I've finally figured out a way to get a workout while reading.

message 2: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher :-P
hahahaha

message 3: by Rane (new)

Rane 0_0 20 lbs! *work out book*

chucklesthescot Ooh, might need to get my paws on this as I'm loving the TV series!

Bark's Book Nonsense It's much different than the tv series (which I love) and just as good. It's very character focused and extremely dark and twisted.

Buggy Hey Barksless, I'm on the verge of buying this (one click away) but I'm stalling because I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to get the TP or HC versions, which I think only contain 6-12 issues each and will ultimately be more expensive but will be much easier to read based on the size and weight of this mofo.

What do you think? Were you put off by the size, weight of this book. Was it awkward? ALL the reviews I've read so far say its up there and you need a table or desk to read it on.

Thanks girl

Bark's Book Nonsense It was awkward to handle and I didn't lug it around with me. I read a few issues every night where I could sit all comfy and rest it on my knees. The HC versions are much lighter (and nicer) so I'd say go for those if you are going to carry it with you.

Buggy Thanks for the advice, I decided to go the PB route. I never read on the couch or at a desk so I figured it would be easier. The PB versions also seem to have some extras in them, like an aftrward by Simon Pegg etc

Bark's Book Nonsense Ooo, I didn't know that. Now I'm jealous. Enjoy 'em.