Melissa (i swim for oceans)'s Reviews > Priscilla the Great

Priscilla the Great by Sybil Nelson

Priscilla is pretty much your average tweenage girl. She has crushes, she has a best friend, she experiences bullying and all the stress the middle school entails. Priscilla, however, has something else going for (or against) her, depending how you look at it. Priscilla has incredible superpowers that leave her vulnerable in ways that her classmates could never imagine, but also give her amazing power and potential, making her a veritable fire hazard in school. Can Priscilla master her powers with the help of her best friend in time, or will she fall prey to a heinous plan to turn children into monsters?

It should be made known that I don’t read too much Middle Grade literature because it tends to be a bit too flat or unemotional for me. However, when the author, Sybil Nelson, approached me to try Priscilla the Great, I was intrigued by the premise containing superpowers. You all know I’m obsessed with superpowers. So, I decided to give it a go. Priscilla the Great is a fun, engaging tale of a young teenage girl grappling with the realities of life while throwing fire-starting, mind-reading and more into the mix. Written in a simple but descriptive prose, the book flows well, and kept me rooting for Priscilla throughout.

The book starts with a bang, showing us Priscilla in a precarious situation, then backtracks to show what led Priscilla to her current situation. I loved the beginning of the story. When books launch full-speed into the action, I’m immediately caught from page one. However, I was a bit disappointed by the amount of backstory that was crammed right into the first part of the story after the initial plot-opener. To be honest, the book came to a screeching halt for me. Luckily, Priscilla the Great picked up speed again and built up to a fun and exciting page-turner, in part because of the great characters. Both Priscilla and her best friend, Tai, a genius, were laugh-out-loud funny and perfectly balanced with the plot.

Despite the rocky first bit of Priscilla the Great, I was quite impressed by the story as a whole (despite my cover love totally not being satisfied by the cover). It’s a bit like a cross between Percy Jackson and superhero comic – definitely entertaining. I give it a 4 out 5 overall, and I’d recommend it to fans of upper MG and lower YA reads, especially those who enjoy a good science fiction story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Priscilla the Great.