Jasprit's Reviews > Halo

Halo by Alexandra Adornetto

Dec 05, 11

bookshelves: love-the-cover, read-in-2011, paranormal, ya
Read from November 21 to 27, 2011

When I first saw the cover to Halo I was immediately drawn to it, what a beautiful cover! My instant thoughts were beautiful cover, beautiful story too right? This wasn’t entirely true. I had several issues with this book, hopefully my review won’t come across as a rant but explain the reasons behind me giving Halo only 1 star.

For what its worth Halo did start off pretty well, it told the story of three angels sent on a mission to “perform good deeds, acts of charity and kindness, to lead by example” basically to prevent the world being brought to destruction from the agents of darkness. It was interesting watching how the three angels; Bethany, Gabriel and Ivy would adapt to earth and cope with their human forms, especially for Bethany, as it was her first time on earth. Interesting enough but then in typical fashion Halo took the path a lot of angel books seem to follow; angel (Beth) falls in love with a human (Xavier) and this in Beth’s world is hugely frowned upon. By the time Gabriel and Ivy discovered Bethany’s secret not much had been happening in the story, the pace was really slow. So I thought FINALLY it’s about to kick off, something big will happen which will keep me from falling asleep or being bored to death! But sadly no “higher powers” had given permission for the relationship to go ahead Seriously?? So the story continued at its painfully slow pace, Xavier and Bethany's relationship began to get even more frustrating; with Bethany continually acting like a clueless damsel in distress;

“she had the face of an angel
What could Jake mean by that
Could he have possibly guessed my secret?”

And this is the funniest quote yet when Xavier has just been playing rugby;

"I looked in anguish at a long scratch
Across his forearm
How did this happen?”

Are you kidding me? And Xavier continually protecting Bethany as if his life depended on it.

And then came Jake Thorn; angels are supposed to be intelligent right? (I especially thought Gabriel was) but no one batted an eye about Jake taking Beth to the prom? I thought his name would be obvious enough (if you haven’t read Halo yet, Beth’s surname is Church, and so Jake’s surname should have given some sort of indication) What really got to me was how Beth agreed to go to prom with Jake, she had extremely been looking forward to going to prom with her boyfriend Xavier who she deeply loved, but because of his unfortunate accident he couldn’t go, so she goes with Jake; a guy who she’s not really sure about and who her boyfriend dislikes? seriously??

Another issue that bugged me was that Bethany was strictly told by her older siblings not to draw attention to herself, as they didn’t want anyone to discover their big secret! But none of them were subtle at all, they were described at times as having an otherworldliness about them, Beth speaks French so fluently in just her first lesson, Gabriel has an unusual way of speaking and the way he manhandles men twice his size so easily. You would think that someone would be clued up enough to realise that there was something different about them?

Overall I found Halo to be an overly clichéd book with an extremely slow and drawn out story, consequently a book I didn’t really enjoy. Despite my 1 star review, I’m sure that there are other readers out there who will enjoy and appreciate this book more than me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halo.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo Uh oh... can't wait for your review, Jasprit!

Jasprit Ugh Jo I had so many issues with this book, I don't think it will be a really pleasant review :-|

message 3: by Jo (last edited Dec 05, 2011 10:04AM) (new)

Jo LOL.... wow this book sounds so... Oyy.

I have absolutely no intention to read this.

Beth Church. Really?!

Great review :)
You definitely took one for the team reading this, Jasprit.

Jasprit Haha I know I can't believe I read the entire book!

Jo you have made the right decision to stay away from this one. We've got so many other amazing books to keep us entertained! :)

message 5: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Very honest review. I took this off of my TBR a while back after some not so favorable reviews. Looks like you're right there with the others. Sorry you didn't care for it Jasprit.

Wendy Darling So many issues with this book, hah. Nicely reviewed, Jasprit!

Jasprit Thanks Arlene & Wendy :)

message 8: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Marr Very classy review Jasprit! You must be one classy lady (with a ton of self-restraint) to to give such a respectful review:)

message 9: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ I've never had this on my TBR. Looks like I never will. :(

Jasprit Thank you Shirley it was so hard not to winge about this book :)

Good idea Rachel, one less book to add to the tbr!

Taneika (Flipping Through The Pages...) Excellent review :) I wasn't anywhere near as calm as you whilst writing my review!!

Jasprit Thanks Taneika I love the ranting in your review, this book was so maddening and you summed it up prefectly! :)

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary i can see why you reviewed it the way you did. i thought it was for more of a younger age group and probably so as the author is 18 but i thought considering her first book ever not so bad, its not something i would be encouraging people to read though better books out there with alot better storylines i thought

message 14: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Wow, Mary, I didn't know the author is only 18! I guess you have to give some leeway then. :)

message 15: by Mary (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mary Yes absolutely :)

Jasprit thanks Sam I know me too! :)

message 17: by Simcsa (new)

Simcsa Now even an angel can be a damsel in distress?! Oh whatever... Great review by the way :)

Jasprit Lol I know! thanks Simcsa :)

message 19: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Jasprit wrote: "Thank you Shirley it was so hard not to winge about this book :)

I keep forgetting to tell you Jasprit, I love this phrase: "to winge" It's a Brit phrase right?

message 20: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Lol Sam! No we don't say it but I still love it. I also love the Australian expression to "go get stuffed" or another one of your Brit expressions "piss off"

Jasprit lol thanks Rachel, yeah I think it is, I do enjoy having a good winge once in a while ;)

message 22: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Everyone needs a good winge now & then! Haha. :)