Angela's Reviews > The Believer, Issue 77: January 2011

The Believer, Issue 77 by The Believer Magazine

Jan 20, 11

Read from January 13 to 14, 2011, read count: 1

A less-memorable issue of the believer, but still containing the odd sparkling gem scattered throughout.

Highlights:
- Jack Pendarvis's "Musins and Thinkins" column, which has grown on me tremendously over the last few issues
- "Internacionalista," a hilarious story of backpacking through a communist revolution in Nicaragua.
- Interviews with musician Pharoahe Monch and writer John Ehle, which made me want to seek out works by both
- Nick Horny's "Stuff I've Been Reading" - on the lesser Dickens
- "One Page Book Reviews" - I really need to get around to reading that "Sexual Life of an Islamist in Paris" book, it sounds hilarious
- "Conscientious Clothing," a look at what ethically and environmentally friendly clothing would cost and how it would happen.

Lowlights:
- A couple articles of ranting about how electronic readers are going to destroy literature. Based on all the people who love to wax poetic about feeling and smelling and holding physical books in their hands, I am beginning to imagine a world populated by book fondlers rather than book readers.
- Hip-hop labels schema. I love hip hop, I love this delightful infographic column in the middle of each month's Believer. Why, then, did this bore me? I don't know, I guess I just don't pay that much attention to record labels, much like I tend to ignore book publishers. People who work in either industry are welcome to convince my why I should change.
- Bianca Casady's interview. I think I'm just not cultured enough to understand the appeal. Or something.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Believer, Issue 77.