Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Kiss of Crimson

Kiss of Crimson by Lara Adrian

Mar 28, 08

bookshelves: paranormal, vampires, 2008, romance
Read in March, 2008

Tess Culver is a veterinarian who is disturbed one night at her clinic by a leather-clad man riddled with bullets, raiding her storeroom. He's no man, but a Breed vampire desperately in need of blood - and he takes hers. Before he can erase her memory of him, she drugs him - and that's when he sees it: the birthmark on her hand that proclaims her a Breedmate, a rare woman who can enter his world as lover and mother.

The story of Dante and Tess is, I thought, more enjoyable than the previous book because I liked the way their relationship progressed here. I do find this series a bit slow, and far too similar to J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. The dermoglyphs are a nice touch, and where the vampires came from originally is different, but the set-up isn't terribly original.

Dante and Tess carried the story well. I liked Tess, she had a pretty steady head on her shoulders and didn't over-react at trying times. And she's a veterinarian with a healing touch - that scored points with me straight away. Dante is a sexy man and I preferred him to Lucan in the previous book. Still, both Lynsay Sands and J.R. Ward have done this premise of near-dead vampire being helped by doctor who turns out to be their one-and-only. I quite like this storyline- it's fun and exciting, oddly enough - but still.

I think one of the things I find the most disturbing about this series (and, to an extent, Ward's as well), is that once these couples have paired up, the women are pretty much stuck in the compound. They don't do anything or go anywhere or have any part to play in the stories. On the one hand I'm glad they're not like Feehan's heroines who go on and on about their freedom in a really irritating way, but the fact that Adrian's heroines seem so content in a windowless existence, living for their man, is kinda scary. They just don't have a role to play afterwards. It's disappointing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of Crimson.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Howdy howdy! I'm at loose ends. After confirming my work schedule, the powers that be go and tell me not to come in this weekend. Only they actually forgot to tell me. I had to find out on my own.

I think I'll be busy over here, maybe actually make some friends, post a few more reviews. Just fool around.

I'm still not sure I'd like para romance. One day I'll make a point to go to the library and check some things out, before making a commitment and buying one. Come to think of it, I could have done that today. (*bonk* Could've had a V8). Oh well.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Hi! I'm so relieved to finally have a day off, even though I only worked four days this week.

If you didn't like Twilight you probably won't like paranormal romance - especially if you don't like sex in books! But who knows, maybe you would like it? There's definitely a lot that aren't very good at all, but there are some that are heaps of fun. Because you're a fantasy fan like me maybe someone like Kresley Cole would be a good place to start? Or C.L. Wilson. I just don't get the feeling that you're interested in the romantic side...?

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Dead in the black. I can handle romance alright in a book, as long as it's not the central focus. For some reason I've had a long standing prejudice against romance novels, be they the trashy super market variety or something by, say, Nicolas Sparks. I've read them, and they just didn't do anything for me. They induce too much eye rolling. That starts to hurt, after a while.

But I really don't mind sex in books (or movies) as long as it's not gratuitus, and has something to do with the plot.

And I know I said I was going to do more with my library, but I ended up running errands in town. I only just got home.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I've had a long standing prejudice against romance novels, be they the trashy super market variety

Me too, it's only recently that I've, ah, mellowed. I'm still picky, though. I can't bring myself to read Nicholas Sparks, and I read one Danielle Steele book in high school (lent by a friend) and was completely contemptuous of it. There's romance, though, and then there's romance. I don't mind a bit of historical romance, but I hate the modern-day stuff (like chick-lit but with more sex). What I really don't like is the Steele variety: the heavy, melodrammatic, self-indulgent, quasi-tragic crap that might actually be saved by a bit of sex here and there.

I've come a long way, I think. I had to get over some real hang-ups to read some of the books I've read in the last few months :) It's good for me though. I really like reading outside my comfort zone, because it enlarges my comfort zone and makes me less self-conscious about what I read. When I was a uni student I wouldn't have gone anywhere near books like these - and I would have missed out on all the fun!

message 5: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Well, maybe one day I'll give it another chance. I was very put off by Nicolas Sparks' The Rescue, which was, as you so eloquently put it, melodramatic, self-indulgent, and quasi-tragic. Only with sex scenes, which were tasteful, at least. Still, even if I unbend enough to read para romance, I doubt I'll ever enjoy Sparks or Steele. I just don't care much for books with modern settings and characters. At least para romance has, well, paranormal stuff to redeem it and make it less mundane.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Yeah, I like the fantasy ones. They're a lot more fun that the Steele kind too. But if you read one before you really want to, it'll probably spoil it for you and you'll swear off them! So don't read any unless you really want to!

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn *laughs* %) No fear of that, when there's so many books I already really really want to read! I doubt I'll take time to bother with something I'm only marginally interested in.

I should be getting Innocent Mage in a week or so. The stupid bookstore didn't have it ( :p well, boo to them, that's the only reason I even go to their stupid store, is I'm pretty certain they'll have what I'm looking for), so I ordered it. And went ahead and preordered Shadows Return while I was at it, because I was overcome with fangirl giddyness and excitement.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) What is Shadows Return? It's not ringing any bells.

We should really organise this better, so that we're reading these books at the same time and can have lovely discussions about them when we're done. So far one or the other of us is behind! Not that that's a bad thing, but I keep thinking "Wait for me!"!! Know what I mean? I'm impatient to read The Night Watch so we can talk about it, and finish the Carol Berg book for the same reason. What if we picked a book, gave ourselves a deadline for finishing it, and got stuck into it at the same time? Interested?

message 9: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Shadows Return is the new Nightrunners book, out June 23, if I'm not mistaken.

And that sounds like a good idea to me. Pick something out of your to-be-read pile, and I'll buy it after work sometime this week. Or I'll probably go on my lunch break. Less crowded. Plus it doesn't take me a whole stupid hour to eat a frozen dinner or leftovers. :p