Kristin's Reviews > Mercy Falls

Mercy Falls by William Kent Krueger

Feb 03, 11

bookshelves: audio-books, mystery
Read from January 20 to February 03, 2011

Okay, I confess I don’t know why I’m still listening to these. Being from Northern MN and knowing the town of Aurora, I have brain skids trying to place his fictional ‘Aurora’ to a live landscape. I had to do some mental town swapping to make the location work in my head – and on the map. That irritates me.

Jo O’Connor, for having married a Chicago cop who now lives in an isolated Northern MN town, is a worry wart and seems to have forgotten what it is like to be a cops wife and she vacillates between being the poor housewife and a nosey lawyer. And for being a cops wife and a lawyer, her common sense shorts out somewhere at the beginning of the book. I called her names several times – luckily no one noticed me muttering under my breath. The downside of an audio book.

Cork has become a putz. For many reasons. But what I think drove it home for me is when he goes dashing off into the BWCAW on a man hunt, he doesn’t bring any K9 sniffing dogs with. No. He brings Henry Milieu, who’s age is not revealed, but must be in his 80’s. I’m seriously shaking my head on this one. He has at his disposal air scent dogs, ground scent dogs, and he brings a nearly blind Trial Elder. It was almost as if Milieu hadn't been part of this mystery and the author needed a way to bring in one of his favorite characters. I would have been happier if he had left Milieu at home for another day and brought a dog.

I'm also very undecided about the Ending as Beginning literary technique. I found it revealed more than I cared for and I basically spent the book fitting plot to the "beginning/ending" rather than just being able to enjoy the story (see comment above where I'm swearing at the book).

And lastly, without giving anything away - in case there are still folks out there reading this series - the end annoyed the begeebus out of me. I don't like to be annoyed when reading a book. Entertained, amused, saddened, those are all fine emotions to elicit. But annoyed? Don't even go there...and this book did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercy Falls.