Jessica's Reviews > Tamar

Tamar by Mal Peet

Jun 09, 11

bookshelves: children-young-adult
Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** THis was a young adult book, but I feel it was more adult. I rarely say that-adult characters,adult feelings, sexual scenes, pregnancy, murder, horrific German crimes during war, etc.

I loved this book. I felt it taught me more about WWII, in particular, about radio operators( amphetamine dependence) and the stress they felt. It also let me know more about resistance and about the double life they had to live. It also made me feel "the hunger" people had during the war when there was so little. I didn't really realize that England supplied them with food. Another thing it proved is that war makes people do horrible things.

This book had to settings 1942 and 1995. Towards the end, I had to know what happened in 1995. I felt the dad in 1995 was really weak. How could he leave his family and just disappear when he finds out about his dad's past? I can see him not wanting to associate with his dad's killer, but leaving and disappearing altogether. Unforgivable!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tamar.

Kaarin should this need a spoiler alert?

Kelly Aley Yes. Spoiler alert needed.

Karen if only the book's cover stated about the killing and sexual scenes. and thankz for telling me it's a adult book only NOW.

Jessica It did have an adult theme. By they way, you read interesting books. I'll have to try to Gone series you've read. Thanks for the 5 star recommendation on that series.