Tamara's Reviews > Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams

Jan 06, 12

bookshelves: sf, author-male, humour, london, time-travel, i-robot, technology, enviroment
Read in January, 2005

Starts off a bit slowly, but soon picks up to be as funny as anything. I'm particularly fond of the sofa.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan-Maat (new)

Jan-Maat It has some great moments, the sofa, the horoscope in the paper, the dead boss leaving messages on the answerphone but like three men in a boat I don't know if funny bits add up to a funny book.

message 2: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara its certainly a bit ragged in terms of pacing, but I thought it did add up nicely, with everything tying back to everything. I does start out as a book with some jokes in, but I did think that by the end the actual narrative managed to become funny. (And then it stopped again for a bit, possibly in tandem with the emergence of the enviromental theme, which is just not that funny, no matter how you spin it.)

William I think the first Dirk Gently is the equal of the best Hitchhiker's Guide books in terms of humour (and it probably has one of Adams' more coherent plots). Book 2 wasn't quite as brilliant, but still very amusing at times.

message 4: by Jan-Maat (new)

Jan-Maat plotwise I agree although I prefer bk2 to bk1. Bk1 has this hue problem in that so much depends on the boss saying something that I can't imagine a native English speaker in that circumstance saying!