Daniel's Reviews > No One Here Gets Out Alive

No One Here Gets Out Alive by Danny Sugerman

Jan 20, 11

Read in January, 1998

I liked this book. But then again, I am a huge fan of this band, so my opinion should be discounted immediately. While Jim Morrison does tend to have a fanatical following, people who are perhaps unaware that at the end of the day this band was guilty of creating mostly self-indulgent mediocre art, his story is still rather fascinating.

Any time a group of American musicians find themselves in and out of contentious and memorable periods of history there is going to be some element of relevance to them that even the harshest critics can't completely diminish. Perhaps this is why a book like "No One Here Gets Out Alive" continues to sell and find an audience.

Before there was Kurt Cobain there was Jim Morrison.

Maybe there is some truth to the phrase uttered by Tyler Durden in the film, Fight Club when he says, "Self improvement is masturbation. Now self destruction..."

For some reason, we love the artists who take us down this road. And we will continue to love them, and our love becomes a funeral pyre.

See, now that song is stuck in your head. And that's the power that Jim Morrison has until this very day. I can't define it. All I can do is acknowledge it. Smile. And move along.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One Here Gets Out Alive.