Catherine's Reviews > Master of Smoke

Master of Smoke by Angela Knight

Feb 04, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, fae, fantasy-paranormal-sci-fi, fiction-vixen-reviews, first-reads-arcs-won-a-copy, fluffy, magic-mystical-ability, read-2011, romance, series, sucked, vampire, were-shifter
Read from January 19 to 21, 2011 — I own a copy

I didn’t realize going into this book that I had read two of the earlier books in the series years ago. But as I was reading I started to feel a weird sense of déjà vu. Vampire Knights of the Round Table? Direkind? Haven’t I read this before? What cinched it was when the king of the faeries, Llyr, and his queen, Diana, were mentioned. Ah hah! I know I’ve read about them. And I had. I’d read Master of the Night and Master of the Moon back when I wasn’t logging any of my read books. That’ll teach me to be more organized, eh?

This book had a lot of snarkiness and pop culture references. Think Kresley Cole and you’ll know what I mean. It was fun at first, but then it just started to grate on me. It ended up seeming more silly and juvenile than funny. And this is coming from a Shelly Laurenston fan. I like immature humor. But this was just a bit too much for me.

Things seemed more cute than silly in the beginning. Eva and her trusty co-companion, Fluffy, rush to save a man in trouble because

Eva immediately falls into lust with mystery man’s hot body—although she manages to get herself under control enough to get them to safety—and he definitely reciprocates despite completely losing his memory.

I wasn’t really thrilled that they slept together so soon and fell in love without actually even knowing each other beyond how many orgasms they could dole out, but that wasn’t really what started losing me. It was the total split personality Smoke suffered from. Seriously, it was weird. I thought it was a product of the magic from the beginning but I was wrong. I was kind of creeped out by it to be honest. And then to have that echoed in a way by another character? It’s just not my thing. Especially when the reader is give confirmation that the other personality is separate and can comment to the host during completely inappropriate moments. *shudder*

There were two additional side storylines that I didn’t feel detracted from the main storyline. I actually found myself waiting for Belle and Tristan’s storyline to pop back up because they intrigued me. I find Belle’s job revolting, but I’m curious how the author will pull off the future relationship. The other storyline was one that frustrated me incredibly. I’m not one to martyr myself for family just because they’re blood, so I have a hard time reading about people like that. If you’re nothing but an albatross around my neck (or a flat out opportunist or worse) then you can kiss my support goodbye. Why should my life suck just because we’re blood? But…I’m sure none of you care to hear me rant about that, so I’ll move on.

Eva’s transition to werewolf was quite a horrific one. She, understandably, has quite a few issues with her new life and others of her kind. I liked the added depth, but I found it frustrating after a while. Eva was a liability in every fight and always ended up putting them at a disadvantage. I just got tired of watching her freak out and have to be rescued.

Based on my experience with the other two books in this series I’m pretty confident in saying that this is just more of the same. If you enjoyed the previous books in the series then chances are that you’ll enjoy this one too.

Favorite Quote:
"She? She who?" God, was there another one? A girl? Shit. Because the lesbian thing was so not happening.

Sidhe," Fang corrected. "Fae. The one you call David."

"Oh, Sidhe."

Review originally posted on Fiction Vixen
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of Smoke.

01/19/2011 page 6
2.0% "

"Spiderman's mantra flashed through her mind: "With great power comes great responsibility."

Like Dad always said: just because you read it in a comic book, that doesn't mean it isn't true."

"
01/19/2011 page 62
22.0% "I have no idea why she cared enough to put down that sword. I wouldn't have after what she did just a while ago. Blood doesn't mean crap to me if there's no caring."
01/20/2011 page 91
33.0% "Mystery boy has so many personalities it is making my head spin." 12 comments
01/20/2011 page 93
33.0% "

Sidhe," Fang corrected. "Fae. The one you call David."

"Oh, Sidhe."

" 6 comments
01/20/2011 page 118
42.0% "Feelings have come into play way too soon for me." 3 comments
01/20/2011 page 147
53.0% "I suppose I'm supposed to feel sympathy for Joelle and the other Direkind females, but I don't. Joelle is a bitch and I wish she would just put herself out of my misery already. :("
01/20/2011 page 225
80.0% "This really isn't shaping up to be my style of book." 10 comments
01/21/2011 page 264
94.0% "I'm tired of Eva being such a liability whenever they're in a fight."
01/21/2011 page 280
100.0% "I definitely won't be revisiting this series anytime soon. :(" 7 comments

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user Great review! Too bad it was a repeat of the other books. Better luck with your next read!

Catherine Thank you. :) I think fans of her other books will like this one, but it wasn't my style.

message 3: by AH (new)

AH Great review. Loved your updates.

Catherine Thanks, AH. :) I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Awesome review!!

Catherine Thanks, Greta.

message 7: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Nice review Catherine. This series is pretty mediocre.

Catherine Thanks, MelissaB. Which ones have you read in it?

message 9: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Hmm the first couple and a few short stories.

message 10: by Quinn (new)

Quinn Thanks for the review, Catherine. Glad I don't have to add yet another long series to my TBR!

Catherine Quinn wrote: "Thanks for the review, Catherine. Glad I don't have to add yet another long series to my TBR!"

You never know, you could really end up enjoying it. :) This series has quite a following.

message 12: by Quinn (new)

Quinn I might get to it one day. I've got enough books on my TBR that I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy, without going for a maybe!

Catherine Good point. The bulging TBR does make it easier to say no to books.

LethalLovely~Maybe I've Always Been More Comfortable in Chaos Great review, Catherine! I honestly can't believe that Knight is still writing this shit. Book #11. Good GOD!

Catherine LethalLovely~Killing Me Softly wrote: "Great review, Catherine! I honestly can't believe that Knight is still writing this shit. Book #11. Good GOD!"

LOL!