Michael Halligan's Reviews > Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us

Drive by Daniel H. Pink

Jan 23, 11

Read from January 19 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy

I imagine this is a great book to confuse those with a lot of management theory behind them. Luckily I'm not one of those, and this book has really struck home. Pink focuses begins by focusing on describing existing management processes as a carrot and stick reward system having evolved workplace of monotonous, undesirable tasks. He introduces the work of a number of social scientists and management theorists, as well as the results of their experiments both in the lab and in the work place. He posits that today's left-brain worked is better "managed" through intrinsic motivation, which he defines as being best facilitated when people are given Autonomy in how they do their work, given the tools to strive for Mastery in their skills, and working towards a Purpose, or a greater good. My brain has been quite active for a few days now, working out missteps I've made in the past along these guidelines, and coming up with ideas as to how to better handle similar situations in the future. It also has a quick but interesting section on fallacies in using reward systems as motivation for educating our children. Definitely a fantastic book, borrow mine!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drive.