Jeanette 's Reviews > The Emperor's Tomb

The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry

Sep 05, 11

bookshelves: all-fiction, suspense-thriller
Read in January, 2011

This is my least favorite of the Cotton Malone series. I'm grudgingly giving it three stars because I respect the research and travel Steve Berry did prior to writing the book. I did learn some interesting things about China and its history, and also discovered that there are some debates about the nature of what we consider fossil fuel.
As for the story, though, it was just too muddled and confusing. I could never keep track of who was on whose side and who was double-crossing and who was good and who was bad and who had power and why they had it. There was no feeling of satisfaction when I finished the book. More like a feeling of relief, because I had a hard time making myself finish. I probably won't continue with the series. It's getting a little repetitive and predictable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Tomb.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Eli (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eli Shayotovich I had the same exact problem... keeping track of who was on whose side. At least for me, I think it had to do with the names of the characters. I'm not good with "different" names... in this case Chinese. Anywho, definitely the least fave read from his. I've since read The Devil's Gold (short story) and am reading the Jefferson Key now... both make up for Emperor''s Tomb in a BIG way. ;)

Jeanette Hi Eli,
I didn't want to say it, because people are so sensitive about political correctness, but the foreign names were hard for me, too. Sorry if my brain is politically incorrect, but the names all look the same to me!
I did read Jefferson Key, which was entertaining enough, but I think I like the earlier Cotton Malone books better.