Blackraven's Reviews's Reviews > The City of Lovely Brothers

The City of Lovely Brothers by Anel Viz

Jan 19, 11

Read in January, 2011

Kathy’s Review:

The City of Lovely Brothers by Anel Viz is an engrossing novel that is so vividly portrayed that the reader forgets the story is, in fact, a work of fiction.

The City of Lovely Brothers is based on the fictional diary of Caliban’s lover and partner, Nick, and it details the Caldwell family’s life on a Montana ranch in the late 1800s through the 1930s. Calvin is the oldest of the four brothers, and he is tyrannical, unbending, and obsessed with owning as much land as possible. Caleb is the next oldest brother, whose hard drinking contributes to the beginning of the end of the family. Calhoun is an independent thinker who frequently butts heads with the domineering Calvin, and their contentious relationship reveals the first cracks in the family’s increasingly shaky foundation. Caliban is the much younger beloved baby of the family who is exceedingly good natured, well liked, and clearly the best of the Caldwell clan. The only daughter in the family is Caleb’s twin sister, Callie, who plays
a minor yet significant role in the family’s story.

Anel Viz’s blend of factual events with fictional details provides The City of Lovely Brothers a great deal of authenticity that quickly pulls the reader into the story. The brothers and their families are richly drawn characters that Mr. Viz brings vibrantly to life. Their flaws and imperfections contribute to the overall feeling that The City of Lovely Brothers is based on real people and true events. Nick’s careful observations provide a great of insight into the brother’s complicated and heartbreaking relaionship. The family discord rings true, and their eventual outcome becomes readily apparent.

The City of Lovely Brothers by Anel Viz is a well written novel that moves at a fast and even pace. Caliban’s and Nick’s relationship is a true delight, and it absolutely charms the reader. I became fully invested in this lengthy family saga, and I found myself reluctant for the book to end. The ending is bittersweet yet very satisfying and Mr. Viz does a wonderful job of tying up all of the loose ends.

Rated 5 Ravens by Kathy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Lovely Brothers.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anel Viz Thanks, Kathy. I've known Goodreads for a while but just figured out how to access the reviews that were there all the time. (I'm too impatient to navigate most sites with anything resembling competence.) Find your comments was a pleasant surprise.
-- Anel Viz

Blackraven's Reviews You're welcome Anel. It was our pleasure and we'll be sure to let Kathy know how pleased you were with the review.