Bryan Glosemeyer's Reviews > Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom

Buddha's Brain by Rick Hanson

1943691
Aug 12, 11

bookshelves: religion-and-philosphy, psychology, non-fiction
Read from February 03 to August 11, 2011

Overall, I have to say this book was a bit 'thin.' To be fair, I was very interested in the first third and the last third of the book. In these sections he delves the most into how Buddhist philosophy and practice have real world correlations in neuroscience. It didn't go into great depth, but walked a fine line of making the complex science and the buddhist philosophy pretty accessible. I could have have gone for more detail into both matters, because I'm a geek for that stuff.

The middle section, however, was pretty weak and caused me to put the book down for several months. Maybe if you've never read a book on buddhism or any kind of 'self-help/positive thinking' this would be of great help to you. But if you've ever read anything like this ever, the whole middle section was pretty lacking.

Like I said, the book in general is pretty light and thin, and if your a serious student of either discipline you'll find yourself wanting more. If both these fields are entirely new to you, this would be a great introduction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buddha's Brain.