Diane's Reviews > Temple of the Winds

Temple of the Winds by Terry Goodkind

Feb 03, 2011

Read from January 19 to February 03, 2011

One of my favorite aspects of this book in the series is that characters that you might have forgotten from the first book begin to play a significant roll in this one. Goodkind's ability to recall and bring back characters is seamless and gentle enough to be believable. For example, Shota, the witch woman from the Rang'Shada mountains, returns full force through the introduction of a new character: Nadine. Talking of recapping old characters, Goodkind also implements a fantastic helping of review. Instead of just plodding through the story, he carefully and gently reminds the reader of what has come to pass to refresh our memories on a particular subject. This helps a great deal as the reader zips through these easy to read, action filled books.

As we continue to follow our main characters through the story we are constantly second guessing new characters. Is Nadine really as innocent as she appears? She is a borderline scorned woman who wants to help but is constantly trying Richard and Kahlan's patience. What about Drefan, another new character and healer who comes to offer his services to the new Lord Rahl. We truly don't know and this keeps us going along with our concerns about the threat of the Imperial Order and the strange plague that is taking over the Midlands.

The plague is curious and acts in the exact same way as a usual plague would, but it threatens to wipe out countless thousands, leaving the way for the Imperial Order to just sweep through the Midlands. Because of this, it becomes the focus of the book. The new Lord Rahl and his bride to be seek the way to solve the plague without destroying themselves, but the prophecy in this book tells a different tale.

This book does not have as much physical action as the previous books since this is a battle that cannot be fought with a weapon. It's a plague and it becomes emotionally and mentally driven by the need to extinguish it. However, because of the emotional and mental drive coupled with the side stories of Verna, Zedd, and Nathan, we have a consistently interesting book that will keep the readers turning the pages.

Among some complaints is that Westland loses its innocence as Nadine talks about what happens there, making it seem no less different than the wild Midlands. That's only a minor complaint, a larger one is Goodkind's dependability on prophecies. The stories are lead by nothing but prophecies and it is, frankly, becoming tedious. However, it might be difficult for him to break away from this concept since it is now a stylistic medium to keep reader's interested. Otherwise it's a great continuation to the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temple of the Winds.

01/19/2011