Kristin's Reviews > Matched

Matched by Ally Condie

Sep 21, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi, ya, romance, read-in-2011, reader-s-advisory, dystopia, series, girls, ya-for-adults-club, brain-candy
Read in February, 2011

The more I come across this genre the more generic it begins to feel. I'm not a big sci-fi reader, so this was my first experience with this whole dystopia thing. It's not a bad concept, though people have said it's a giant ripoff of the Giver. Haven't read that, so I'll have to take people's word for it I guess... The characters are quite flat and their mannerisms aren't described in much detail. This works to a degree in the beginning because the premise of this book rests on the fact that emotions and freedom of choice are bad things. I find myself bored quickly by love triangles though, so I'm on the fence about reading the sequel even though this book did have some interesting plot points. I just don't see the appeal. I also resent the story arc that seems to persist in many novels (not just this genre), in which men help to enlighten women. The main character Cassia seems to have a little bit of mental free agency, but it doesn't come without silent, vaguely dangerous Ky pulling her in the direction of rebellion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Matched.