Lisette Brodey's Reviews > The Language of Trees

The Language of Trees by Ilie Ruby

May 07, 2011

Read from March 27 to May 07, 2011

Author Ilie Ruby’s rich portrait of the people of Canandaigua Lake, their secrets, their histories, their unrequited passions, their losses, and their quest for second chances, all come together stunningly in The Language of Trees.

Written in gorgeous poetic prose, this novel opens with a tragedy that draws the reader into the lives of Ruby’s multi-dimensional, disparate, and believable characters. The author’s knowledge of the area of Canandaigua, the folklore of the Seneca Indians, is so real, that throughout the book, I felt as if I were standing invisible among the people of Canandaigua, watching myriad stories unfold around me.

This is an author who cannot only write, but also who deeply understands the human spirit — what threatens it, what kills it, and what heals it. The story flows beautifully as the present and past lives of her character’s fight for their rightful place.

As Echo O’Connell reunites with her first love, Grant Shongo, who she has not seen since she was seventeen, there is much to sort out. Secrets and spirits float through the air and every character has their pain, their regret, and their unique need for forgiveness. The Language of Trees is a truly magical story.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Trees.

03/30/2011 page 20
04/17/2011 page 150
41.0% "A truly beautifully written novel."
show 10 hidden updates…

message 1: by Stuart (new)

Stuart Thank you, Lisette, I have heard many wonderful comments about, 'The Language of Trees". Powerful stories which are rich in characters who encompass the myriad of emotions that affect people will always be a book which I will enjoy.

message 2: by Sammy (new) - added it

Sammy Sutton Great Review, sounds awesome. 'The Language of Trees' is going on my reading list!

Lisette Brodey So glad you both enjoyed the review. Ilie Ruby is really a masterful writer.

Marta Moran Bishop I have just ordered this book and am looking forward to reading it. I have been eyeing this book to buy and your review was the clincher for me. Thank you.

Lisette Brodey That's wonderful, Marta! I'm so glad you ordered a copy. I know you'll appreciate Ilie's beautiful writing as much as I do. :)

Marta Moran Bishop It was all that I have read about the book and then your review was the clincher. I am so looking forward to getting my book new book.

I am completely sure I am going to love it.