marcus miller's Reviews > The Politics of Jesus

3195832
Jan 19, 2011

bookshelves: religion
Read from January 19 to 28, 2011

I tried reading this when I was in college. I remember bogging down somewhere in the middle and never finishing the book. Reading it 30 years later I found the book much more understandable which says much more about me and where I was at in college than it does about John Howard Yoder and his writing. If I understand him correctly, Yoder states that we should read the New Testament through the person of Jesus and that we should pay attention to the political dimensions of his message. Some of my professors were steeped in JHY and so even though I didn't finish the book back then, elements of his ideas were certainly familiar. Those who want to focus on Jesus as the Messiah who came to "save the lost," and those who focus solely on conversion will probably be appalled by the book. Those who believe Jesus and the early church had something to say to the social and political structures of their day, and by extension, the structures of today will find this book to be thought provoking and stimulating. The ideas presented by Yoder are important. They hopefully will continue to impact the Christian church and broader society.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Politics of Jesus.