J.'s Reviews > X-Force, Volume 1: Angels and Demons

X-Force, Volume 1 by Craig Kyle

Jun 29, 2014

bookshelves: books-i-own
Read in June, 2014

Well, this was a great read. Very violent, but with a strong focus on characters. And certainly full of surprises. Great and fitting (and unusual for a comic) art by Clayton Crain. It was about infinity percent better than the X-Force I remember from the '90s. I enjoyed it immensely.

It says something of the zeitgeist that this comic exists: the X-Men I grew up with repeatedly didn't kill people, and it repeatedly came back to bite them. On the other hand, the 90s were full of over-the-top violence that was completely silly; violence not too dissimilar from the Batman TV show, and that was taken about as seriously. This book takes the inherent bloodiness seriously: Wolverine worries, Warpath rationalizes, Rahne cries, X-23...well, she pretends to cope. The X-Men have always been rife with allegory and political commentary, so how can you read this and *not* think in those terms? Cyclops sending in his secret team to wipe out the bad guys smells too much like a secret team of U.S. soldiers recently sent to wipe out a certain bearded political villain. So, while not exactly "ripped from the headlines," and certainly not subtle, I applaud the attempt to make these patently-unrealistic comic book characters try to deal with the world that we readers are actually living in. But--hey--a lot of readers certainly won't like it.

I do have a few complaints: overuse of voice-over; return of long-forgotten villains; one too many surprises at the end; occasionally foggy art.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read X-Force, Volume 1.