KarenC's Reviews > Galveston

bookshelves: better_than_tv, edgar_nominees_2011
Recommended to KarenC by: Edgar nominee
Recommended for: Ed
Read from January 30 to February 01, 2011 — I own a copy

A bleak story in which we want to support the "bad guy." Roy Cady has been a mob bagman and enforcer all his working life, so you know he's done bad things. But after he rescues a young woman during a job gone wrong, and in which he and his partner were ambushed, you want to see him differently. Pizzolatto does a good job getting his characters right and making them come alive; engaging the reader and encouraging sympathy for the difficult situations they face.

There isn't a real mystery here, but a sensitive character study of two people who met under bad circumstances and want to move on to make something more of their lives. Roy's dying, we know that from the start, so we watch him take risks to help the young woman and her sister. It was a short, yet engrossing read and I'm curious to see how Pizzolatto develops as an author. I wasn't into it at the beginning, but kept reading based on the strength of its Edgar nomination. By the end I wasn't sorry I had continued. A good debut novel.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galveston.