Mtnbookworm's Reviews > Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakthrough

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakthrough by Ruth Pennebaker

Jan 19, 11

Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

I found myself uncannily motivated by Pennebaker’s title alone. Frankly, it describes me and many others in my circle of family and friends to a T. I suspect if you're dealing with either raising kids or handling eldercare drama (or both) ... the title probably describes your life too.

Based on her other writing, I knew I could count on Pennebaker for a respite from and a laugh about real life. I’ve had a hard time reading lately because I’m so distracted, so if a book can hold MY attention, that’s saying something.

Pennebaker’s book does NOT disappoint. It’s funny and aggravating at the same time, as three generations of women live in the same house (not by choice) and muddle the best they can through their individual and collective dramas. It helped me feel "normal" about the many times lately that I go from zero to pissed off in a matter of seconds. Frustration is real, and sometimes, frustration is funny.

An exercise in perspectives — generational, mother-daughter, and otherwise — Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakthrough reveals the grace and humor, frustration and (yes) anger, that consumes us … especially at times of big transitions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakthrough.