Ariel Cummins's Reviews > Shattering Glass

Shattering Glass by Gail Giles

Jan 19, 2011

bookshelves: ya, realistic-fiction, mystery-and-thrillers
Read from January 23 to 26, 2012

I picked up this book because I saw it mentioned in a listserv list that was titled "books that tell you the end at the beginning". I was intrigued by the concept, and I happened to see this book on the self at my library. So, I picked it up and then, the day before it was due back to the library (oops!), I blew threw it.

This book is an intriguing take on the "geek to glory" story that is so often found in teen lit (and 90s movies). Although you know, from the first sentences, what will happen to Simon Glass, this book still manages to create an amazing amount of tension. The writing is sharp and the plotting in solid. Some of the characters were a little flat, but I think that this book shines nonetheless. I particularly enjoyed the "testimonials" at the beginning of each chapter that showed the adult characters reflecting on the events that happened to them in high school. It allowed me to piece together what happened after the last page -- something I always enjoy.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mysteries and thrillers. A definite readalike for You by Charles Benoit, this book has special appeal to boy readers, and given it's relative short length, will likely appeal to some reluctant readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shattering Glass.