Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > The Invention of Hugo Cabret

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

This one surprised me by turning out to be about a long-ago French filmmaker and magician named Georges Melies. If you want to know how Hugo Cabret fits into the picture, so to speak, you'll just have to read the book. Kids who like mechanical things would groove on this book with all the clockworks in the Paris train station, the mechanical toys, and the tinkering Hugo likes to do. Don't be put off by the page count. Hundreds of those pages are taken up by pencil drawings.

Both of Brian Selznick's books have a strong orphaned child theme. Kids without parents around to manage their lives certainly make for more interesting stories. Having recently read Wonderstruck, I can't help comparing the two books. For me, Wonderstruck was the better of the two. The two story lines, fifty years apart, make it more interesting, and I thought the drawings had more overall visual appeal.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Lisa How does Wonderstruck compare to this in terms of age-appropriateness? My 5 y.o. and I read this last winter and I'd like to try Wonderstruck with him.

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I think Wonderstruck would be more confusing for him. There's quite a bit of mystery as far as how the two story lines start to come together, and it alternates between the two. But if you're sitting right there talking with him about it, you could explain what he's not getting. Even if he doesn't get it all, I think he'd probably love it. Especially if he likes museums and nature.

Lisa Thanks! I might wait a year. Plenty of other books to read now!