Reading Teen (Andye)'s Reviews > The End of the World Club

The End of the World Club by Jon Voelkel

Feb 16, 11

I was so excited when I got this book from the library a few days ago. It is the sequel to J&P Voelkel's book, Middleworld. I read and reviewed Middleworld a few months back and absolutely loved it. And when I got the sequel, The End of the World Club, I couldn't wait to start reading.

Okay, cutting right to the chase here, I didn't like this book as much as I liked the first in the series. At some parts, it was a little disappointing. I just think it could have been a lot better if you are going off the greatness of the first one. But, it was still a pretty good book. The non-stop action was great. It wasn't a very long book (by the ending of the book I couldn't stand the fact that I would have to wait till the third comes out) but no pages were wasted. The ongoing, and secret, war between the Mayans and the Death Lords makes you hang onto every word. But, I will admit that I was a little disappointed in the villains. I just didn't feel like they were... Villainy enough. Not evil enough. I felt as if the authors didn't want to make the book to scary, or to violent. The most violence in the book was some-what comical dead bodies. That sounds odd, but if you've read the book you will understand my point. And sometimes I find a hard time believing that the ancient Mayans came up with such weird names for immortal beings. Try telling me with a straight face that a powerful Death Lord's, who commanded how and when you would die, name is Scab-Scraper. But, it's hard to not love the protagonists of the book. Every book needs a couple of good guys. And whenever Max isn't whining about something or other, this book has a great team of people who do good stuff to save other stuff.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who has read the first and I would recommend the first to anyone who hasn't yet read it. This is truly a great series and I applaud the Voelkel's for putting together such and imaginative story.

-Austin http://ReadingTeen.net/

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of the World Club.