Marguarite Markley's Reviews > A Householder's Guide to the Universe: A Calendar of Basics for the Home and Beyond

A Householder's Guide to the Universe by Harriet Fasenfest

2050690
Jan 24, 11

bookshelves: adult-nonfiction
Read from January 19 to 24, 2011

What I really love about this book is organization by month. Each chapter was dedicated to a month is Harriet's householding life. For example, she writes about how she spends January...in regards to gardening and maintaining her home...and so on...for each month. I loved the personal stories she threw in because they added character and often humor. It is part story...part how-to. My only gripe is that she lives in Oregon, so the gardening season is different from mine. Hey Harriet...if you're reading this...get together with someone in Ohio and write "A Householders Guide to the Universe: Ohio" please!! It would be very helpful!! However, I can put alot of the tips to use. Thanks Harriet!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Householder's Guide to the Universe.

01/21/2011 page 150
41.0% "so far its awesome!"

message 1: by Harriet (new)

Harriet Fasenfest Hey Marguarite,

Thanks for your kind words but sorry about the location specific focus of the gardening guide. My suggestion is that you look into your local county extension office. They are really good at helping you figure out the gardening requirements and opportunities of your area. But having said that, most of what I know came from just digging in and making mistakes. They say it takes at least ten years to make a good farmer. I think I got half assed by year five so I think the saying is correct. Five more years and I should know what I'm talking about. Which is a fact I never hid. I'm a novice and write about the craziness of attempting all this with a particularly tenacious modern leisure loving mind. So jump right in and give it a go. There will never be anything to replace willingness.

Good luck,