texast's Reviews > The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World

The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau

Jan 22, 11

Read from January 19 to 22, 2011

Because this book is short and a fast read, I recommend it if you have a free afternoon. If you already read Chris' blog, you are unlikely to learn anything new. His message can be boiled down to this: don't follow the rules in life; find your own alternative way of doing things and lead a remarkable life.

It's a great message, but it's unfortunate that the entire book is made up of his own personal experiences and those of others who are very similar to him. I feel I have a clear understanding now of how Chris lives his life and how he thinks it's remarkable, but he didn't provide any tactical advice on how one should go about pursing a life on their own terms (not his).

For example, Chris' life goal is to travel to all 192 countries and he talks about travel a lot in his book. He also feels he wasted a lot of money on his advanced degree and dedicates a section of the book to his feelings on the educational system.

I don't feel like I learned much from this book, but I've taken away a few inspirational tidbits. I'm just glad I checked it out from the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Non-Conformity.