Halden's Reviews > The Shadow Rising

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

Jan 19, 11

Well book 4 has come and gone and I am still very much impressed by the Wheel of Time series of books. Once you get passed Robert Jordan’s repetitious and sometimes long winded nature you get rewarded with some excellent stories and fascinating characters. As the series progresses many characters begin to take part in isolated story lines some of which are excellent (Perrin Aybara), essential (Rand Al’Thor) and others I could skip over (Elayne, Nyneave and Egwene) but they all form the tapestry that is the Wheel of Time.

The Shadow Rising reveals many secrets and treats the reader to some of the most exciting batles to date. Perrin Aybara comes into his own, along the way he becomes a hero and my favourite character. Rand’s journey continues to be the driving force of the book as he becomes more comfortable with being the Dragon Reborn and the duties that entails. The book does suffer when dealing with the story of Nyneave, Egwene and Elayne chasing the Black Ajah which I felt was too long and tore me away from Perrin and Rand which is where I wanted to be.

This is another good book in the series and had moments where I could not put it down, in fact the ending left me so enthralled that I immediately started reading The Fires of Heaven.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Rising.

Adam Sparks I have to agree. Perrin is great, while I really dislike the Aes Sedai trainees. I've heard he is not in the next one which is disappointing.