All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Shady Lady

Jan 19, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in March, 2011

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

I’ve come to expect great things from Ann Aguirre. I don’t just read her books, I step into the skin of her characters, breath the same air, taste the same food, feel the same rush of adrenaline and chill of fear. The Corine Solomon books in particular, have all been superb supernatural rides, and SHADY LADY is the best yet.

What a surprise Kel was in this book. When we first met him in BLUE DIABLO, he was this crazy, zealous warrior. Barely human. An enemy. A tenuous alliance was formed between him and Corine, but he was still terrifying at best, and homicidal most times. And yet, Ann changed him in a very gradual, subtle way throughout SHADY LADY. Or maybe she just changed my perception, because by the end of the book, I’d basically called the race for Corine’s heart and the two other guys from the previous book weren’t even close. I loved how my expectations were completely turned upside down and yet I never once felt cheated.

But even though I may have declared a winner, that doesn’t mean that Corine (or Ann has). I had some issues with Corine’s indecisiveness in the previous books, and she’s no more resolute this time when it comes to the men in her life. In SHADY LADY, she mentally commits to each one before waffling on to the next in the space of only a few chapters. Talk about whiplash. Yes there are circumstances that prompt each decision, but I would have expected her to maybe take a little time to think things through before moving on to the next guy. But that’s my only complaint in this otherwise excellent urban fantasy.

There is so much good stuff packed into this book. Surprising character transformations, rich worldbuilding, gorgeous writing, killer action scenes and hot romance (the chapters in the jungle reminded me of a classic Linda Howard romance). Everything adds up here. Urban Fantasy fans will want to get drunk on this series, and the good news is that we have at least two more Corine Solomon books to look forward to. DEVIL’S PUNCH will be out in April 2012, followed by BLOODY MARIA in April 2013. So belly up to the bar if you haven’t already. This is a series that just keeps getting better.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. A brief, mildly graphic sex scene. References to rape. Attempted rape.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shady Lady.

03/14/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Dangerous Romance (last edited Apr 04, 2011 12:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dangerous Romance Book Reviews Great review. I loved the first book, Blue Diable but have been frustrated by the same thing you describe. Especially when Chance was so much my choice for her heart that I struggled with Corinne even being alone with the policeman, (I forget his name). It just felt awkward to me.I never felt any chemistry between her and the policeman, And now Kel? The Hand of God? Jeez.
Well its in my TBR file and I look forward to it.

All Things Urban Fantasy L. wrote: "Great review. I loved the first book, Blue Diable but have been frustrated by the same thing you describe. Especially when Lucky was so much my choice for her heart that I Struggled with her even b..."

I'm so with you about both Lucky and the cop. I would not have wanted to see Kel emerge as a romantic lead based on the first two books, but wow did I come around. I'm betting you will too :)

Dangerous Romance Book Reviews Oh you were so right. Hands down my favorite of the series. I loved Kel. He was always a fascinating character but I really fell for him in this book, so much so, I didnt' know what to think at the end ( you know what I mean) I mean, I was happy but I was bummed.
Ms. Aguirre has been so nice, she's been twittering with me about Kel and she's fascinated by him too! How cool is that.

All Things Urban Fantasy L. wrote: "Oh you were so right. Hands down my favorite of the series. I loved Kel. He was always a fascinating character but I really fell for him in this book, so much so, I didnt' know what to think at the..."

I know exactly what you mean. I still have hopes on that front for the next book :)