Emily's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Mar 10, 11

bookshelves: already-read, favorites
Read from February 07 to March 09, 2011

Let's start by getting the negatives out of the way. There were two things that kept me from rating this book five stars: 1.) The age difference between Maxim and the new Mrs. de Winter was occasionally creepy. I'm willing to accept a May-December romance, but it verged on being too much for me when Maxim would say things like, "never grow up." Ew. 2.) I was frequently able to predict the next plot "twist."

That said, neither of these things took away from my overall enjoyment of the book. Du Maurier does a beautiful job at evoking moods and atmospheres, and I truly felt caught up in the both the beauty of Manderly and the tension of the relationships. I felt the narrator's timidness and anxiety, as well as her growing sense of power and adulthood later on, and the character of Danvers is satisfyingly sinister. I have thoroughly enjoyed many of the books I have read this year, but this was the first one that really swept me away to another time and place, and I was happy to go along for the ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.