Nadyne's Reviews > There Must Be Murder

There Must Be Murder by Margaret C. Sullivan

Mar 11, 11

bookshelves: e-books, kobo, crime, novel, fiction, 2000-s
Read from January 01, 2010 to March 10, 2011 — I own a copy

First sentence: “The Reverend Henry Tilney, the rector of Woodston parish in Gloucestershire, looked up from his book and addressed his wife.”

P. 99: “He turned and bounded ahead of them along the riverbank towards the steep climb up to Beechen Cliff.”

Last sentence: “It was not very long before Catherine found herself agreeing with that sentiment; for when he was inspired, Henry could be very convincing indeed.”

I’ve read this novella because I heard somewhere it was a kind of sequel to Jane Austens Northanger Abbey. I’ve never realised that contemporary writers could use characters from older books or classics and write a story about them (I know, that’s pretty dumb of me).

I thought it could be a great idea, but after reading There Must Be Murder, I’m not so sure anymore. Sullivan takes the two main persons from Austens book, Catherine and Henry and gives us a little insight in their married life. If you would wish to do so, you could tell the plot and story of this book in one sentence. There really doesn’t happen anything that is worth mentioning. So, indeed, it was a very, very quick read (not three hours I think). It’s the perfect book for reading on a long trip with the train, where you do not want to read something more complex.

But I really don’t recommend it…

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Must Be Murder.