Daisiemae's Reviews > Once a Rake

Once a Rake by Rona Sharon

Jan 31, 2008

liked it
Recommended to Daisiemae by: Amazon
Recommended for: Who can overlook a silly heroine so they can read about a lovable hero
Read in February, 2008

I wanted to really like this book so much! I loved the storyline. The is scarred from fighting in the Napolean War and recovering from survivors guilt and has been in love with the heroine almost all of his life.
Well, first and formost I really liked the hero. He had alot of redeeming qualities about him. He WORKED hard to convince the heroine to love and accept him. Yes, he had flaws, but he would work his way through them and come out better for it.
On the other hand I did not care for the heroine much. At first, she was strong and noble. Her stubborness and love for him helps him come out of his reclusive state. But as the story progressed she became childish, and did nothing but send mixed signals to the hero. There were MANY times I wanted to throw the book across the room because of her immaturity...I thought in the end the hero deserved so much better.
Because of my fondness of the hero, I give this 3 stars. Hell, I would even let him join our harem...I know he would too, just to get away from her nagging ass...lol.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once a Rake.

Tammy Daisiemae:

You do make some very good points about Isabel's character. I think I was so fascinated with Ashby's character (the poor tortured soul!)that I didn't pay quite so much attention to Isabel's immaturity and tantrums. But then again, I don't normally read romance novels for the heroine. =)

The only things that truly bugged me about this book was Ashby's name, Paris, and the fact that the book seemed to stretch on endlessly (ie. the park scene).

Definitely add Ashby to your harem. He's a keeper.

Daisiemae Hey Tammy:)
I agree that the book seemed to go on. She probably could have cut out at least 75 pages or so, and the book would have been as good or better.
Like you, I read romances for the hero too. But, when a heroine acts idiotic it gets distracting to me...plus I kept thinking he deserved so much better. Even Isabel's friend Sophie would have been better for him!
Thanks for your comment on my viewpoint...I just love discussing our books:)
Daisie

Tammy I forgot about Sophie! That girl deserves her own book - she was feisty and had an intriguing past.