Nina's Reviews > Crossing California

Crossing California by Adam Langer

F_50x66
Jan 19, 11

Read in January, 2011

I tried to read this a number of times and I am glad I finally did. Crossing California follows the lives of three Rogers Park based Jewish families over a two year period (from November 1979 to January 1981). It is a coming of age book and most of the story focuses on the lives of the Wasserstroms (Jill and Michelle and father Charlie), the Wills (Muley and mother Deirdre) and Rovner (Lana and Larry and their parents, Michael and Ellen). I liked the seemingly accurate depiction of this turn of the decade story against the backdrop of the social and political dynamics of the neighborhood, city and the country. It also depicts a time where race and religion did matter and the cultural importance of retaining that identity, but also the marked shift moving away from liberalism and towards Reaganomics.

The book is actually quite good but my review does not do it justice. It was highly entertaining although I have to say the parts incorporating the Rovners started to grate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossing California.