Missie's Reviews > Raw Blue

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar

Jun 24, 2011

bookshelves: aussie-title, legen-wait-for-it-dary, contemporary, ya
Read in February, 2011

Carly has built herself the ideal life. One which allows her to surf and be free of worries. She may have disappointed her parents by dropping out of uni, but she has never felt like she could live up to their expectations anyway.

Surfing provides Carly the escape she craves. Riding the waves, skimming the surface of the ocean, leaves little time for thinking about what has happened in her past. Until she meets Ryan.

Soon the disgrace she thought she drowned begins to surface, pulling her under, claiming her, causing her to give up the little fight to live she had left.

But Ryan's not giving up on her. Which makes her wonder if maybe she is worth more after all.

The splendidly wrought prose was truly the highlight of the story. There was an emotional disconnect, but it was one you hardly noticed because of how deeply embedded it was into Carly.

It was easy to get lost in the fantasy life that Carly created. Her passion for surfing was evident from the start, and she talked about it extensively. But even shallow ripples of emotion couldn't stop the fear that sometimes paralyzed her. It was only when harsh light shone on these fears that I began to see that the bubble Carly formed around herself and her loneliness would soon burst. And when it did, it resulted in the ultimate wipe out, jolting Carly from wave to wave, roughing her up from the outside in and from the inside out.

When the high tide wash away, all that remained was a shell of a person, and that was difficult to bear, especially when Carly gave up the one thing that brought joy to her life. Yet, you knew her journey wasn't over, in fact it was just beginning. It was the point break that led to an awakening in her mind, heart, and spirit.

Carly was the type of person that hid her torment behind very simple purposes. Yes, she struggled, but she never denied that interacting was hard for her. She was very open about how hard it was to get by, to talk to people. Ryan didn't question it, he just accepted it, accepted her. He was her perfect swell, but one she couldn't ride easily. Theirs wasn't a swoon worth romance but a real and raw relationship that took effort to maintain. I couldn't help pulling for them, hoping that they'd find a way to make it work.

Though the writing was very descriptive, I didn't find it to be very illustrative. I struggled with some of the scenery and setting but never the action. But that didn't bother me as much with a story like this because when all was said and done, a part of Carly had seeped into me. She became the type of character I know I will always carry with me. Her bravery, when revealed, was silent, but it was hers and it was full of heart and hope.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raw Blue.