Jena's Reviews > The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything

The Element by Ken Robinson

Jan 19, 11

Read in November, 2010

Very interesting book about how we need to find our purpose in life, or our "element." And education isn't helping. He says that some people don't find their element until they recover from their education.

"Sometimes, of course, your loved ones genuinely think you would be wasting your time and talents doing something of which they disapprove. This is what happened to Paulo Coelho. Mind you, his parents went further than most to put him off.They had him committed repeatedly to a psychiatric institution and subjected to electroshock therapy because they loved him. The reason Coelho's parents institutionalized him was that he had a passionate interest as a teenager in becoming a writer. Pedro and Lygia Coelho believed this was a waste of a life. They suggested he could do a bit of writing in his spare time if he felt the need to dabble in such a thing,but his real future lay in becoming a lawyer.

His parents were right in assuming he had a promising future ahead of him, but that future had nothing to do with the legal profession. Coelho's novel 'The Alchemist' was a major international bestseller, selling more than forty million copies around the world."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Element.