Kim's Reviews > My Year of Meats

My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki

Jan 19, 2011

bookshelves: 2011
Read from January 19 to 24, 2011

This book really did lead me down a merry path and then knock me into a muddy and shit-filled puddle.

It starts out as a simple little story of two women, miles and continents and cultures apart, linked by a tv show.
Jane is a documentarian in America, half japanese half American, making a weekly show which highlights the all American family and how they eat meat. The show is aired in Japan as part of a marketing ploy to get Japanese housewives to buy American meat.
Akiko is a Japanese woman who watches the show, makes the meals and reports back to her husband, who works for the sponsoring company, on what she thought about each show and the families, and more specifically the wives, portrayed in each.

Sounds all very hunky dory and a bit chick lit-ey
DO NOT be fooled
This is book is nothing like chick-lit - nothing at all

Things begin to change when Jane starts to question the idea of all white heteronormative families for her tv show; Akiko is moved by an alternative family portrayed in the show; Jane finds out exactly how meat gets from the field to the table - and all hell breaks loose.

Before I read this book I heard that it had single handedly converted more people to vegetarianism than any other programme, advertising campaign or mass persuasion technique. For the first half of the book I assumed that whoever had said that had over reacted. Having finsihed the book, I simply cannot look at meat in the same way. While I may not convert to legume eating, I am certainly off to do a whole pile of research. if half of what Ozeki says is true, my protein intake source is about to change!

An immensely readable book with a kick in the tail that will send you reeling.
Read it
I know I am glad I did!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Year of Meats.

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate I have just finished her other book All Over Creation and loved it so this looks like a must read too. It is probablly of note that many of the food practice of the States are unique to them - here in NZ there is much controverrsay over such practices. If you are interested in such things a good book to read is Marion Nestle's What to Eat.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Hi Kate

Thanks - I will look out for What to Eat. I am also not sure if what goes on in America goes on in South Africa too - but there are so many loopholes in everything here it may just.

I read All over Creation too - and also loved it. Now to wait for her next offering

Kate wrote: "I have just finished her other book All Over Creation and loved it so this looks like a must read too. It is probablly of note that many of the food practice of the States are unique to them - here..."