JackieB's Reviews > The Winter Ghosts

Jan 21, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, general
Read from January 19 to 20, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I thought this would might made a good short story, but it was padded out to novel length. The beginning quarter of the book was largely unnecessary to the overall story, and rather tedious. I was thinking of abandoning it when the story really began (as far as I was concerned).

Unfortunately, the main story seemed full of plot holes, or plot devices pushed too far. Having the main character, who was the narrator, write "Looking back, I cannot believe I thought X/did Y" did not fill them as far as I was concerned. I just thought "That makes two of us!". It was especially annoying because she tried to use this trick at least twice, which is at least once too often for my taste.

Finally, I know I am being bitchy, but can someone explain to Kate Mosse that it is PITCH BLACK in caves once you have moved away from the entrance. If you have a torch you cannot see that a cavern is "Like a cathedral" because you do not have enough light to be able to see that well. Similarly, you cannot describe the cave in any detail because you can only see the small part illuminated by your torch. She has done this twice to my knowledge (in this book and in Labyrinth) and it drives me crazy.
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter Ghosts.

message 1: by Angela (new) - added it

Angela I decided not to read this one - "Sepulchre" was a "step too far" for me! Reading your review, I'm really glad I made that decision!!

message 2: by Tony (new)

Tony Your review is spot on. Kate Moss has a nice turn of phrase but that doesn't make up for an overblown story of unoriginal plot and (as you quite rightly point out) full of plot holes that are very annoying.

message 3: by Gail (new) - rated it 1 star