Bondama's Reviews > The Marbury Lens

The Marbury Lens by Andrew  Smith

Jan 20, 11

Read in January, 2011

This is one of the most unusual books I've ever encountered. It starts much as many YA books start, with a stranger giving the protagonist an unusual pair of glasses. In the protagonist's backstory, he turns out to have had a shattering experience, just before he and his best friend are taking a trip to England. Jack (protag.) is kidnapped, and very nearly raped. He escapes with the help of a ghost named Seth.

When Jack puts on the glasses, he is in another world. Not a good world, either. It appears that there are only a very few humans left, and they are being chased by humanoid monsters (one of which is is best friend, Conner.) When he takes the glasses off, time has passed differently. It seems to Jack as though he had spent three or four days in "Marbury." But in "earth" time (for lack of a better word) only a few minutes have elapsed.

I was given this book by a 14 yr. old girl who loved/hated it. It is compulsively readable, and very, very well written. But I want to know MORE about Marbury (the world of the glasses) -- Perhaps this is the start of a series. I do hope so.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marbury Lens.