Erik Graff's Reviews > The City And The Stars

The City And The Stars by Arthur C. Clarke

Jan 18, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: sf
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Recommended for: Clarke fans
Read in November, 1991 , read count: 1

Clarke was one of the first science fiction writers to come to my awareness when still in elementary school. I'd been reading the genre since second grade, but it took quite a while for me to really distinguish between and actually seek out particular authors. The book that did it for me as regards Clarke may well have been his collection, Tales of the White Hart.

As I got older and as the New Wave passed from the UK to the USA in the sixties, my tastes changed. Now Clarke seemed a bit passe, his characterizations weak, his plots two-dimensional. Still, I would occasionally return to him, either to his own novels or the ones published over his name along with that of a coauthor.

The City and the Stars is a rewrite of Clarke's Against the Fall of Night ('48), which I'd previously read as a kid. Reading the rewrite brought some of the older experience back to mind. That was nice, but I wouldn't recommend the book to others.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City And The Stars.