Edna's Reviews > Unholy Ghosts

Jan 21, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, urban-fantasy
Read from January 18 to 21, 2011

3.5 stars.

The world of Downside is a setting you can find in most urban fantasy books. It's dark, gritty...the kind of place you don't want to find yourself walking alone during the late hours. The Church of Truth holds the power in this world. They have the knowledge and magical skills to keep the bloodthirsty killer ghosts in order. People are reminded all the time about how much they depend on the Church to keep them safe. And these ghosts are frightening, how they're suppose to be. They make you want to sleep—if you can—with the lights on. So if you're looking for fun, Casper-the-friendly-ghost spirits, you are not going to find them in this book.

Chess is very different from other protagonists I've come across in UF. She's a drug addict and it, of course, makes a big impact on her priorities and affects her state of mind at crucial moments. It's a turn off so I'm hoping to see her overcome it. She works for the Church of Truth investigating claims of hauntings, determines if it's a hoax or something real. The Church is intriguing character itself. I'd love to see it explored more because at the moment there's something about it that I don't fully trust.

Terrible, what can I say about him? He's described as ugly: scarred face, crooked nose, jutting brows. This big brute of a guy carries out the dirty work for Chess's drug dealer. In every sense a dangerous man but then he has these great gentleman qualities when it comes to Chess. He sort of becomes her guard, the guy who'll protect her at any cost. It makes him so, SO endearing. I don't know about you but it's quite refreshing to see an unconventional supporting male character/sidekick (and I HOPE a future love interest, please!) like him.

It did take me a long while to get into this world and all the lingo of the Downside community. Once I did, I was hooked. The mystery had me on my toes and wondering who it was until the reveal. Looking forward to the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unholy Ghosts.

message 1: by Ami (new)

Ami this is on my to-be-read list. so please let me know :)

Edna I'm 25% done with it and it's okay so far. I'm hoping it'll kick up a notch soon.

message 3: by Ami (new)

Ami sounds like a good one. i'll check it out, that's for sure.

Edna Looking forward to your thoughts on it. :)

message 5: by Ami (new)

Ami Oh, I managed to get to Chapter 4 but I was totally put off with the way the characters talk. It annoyed the hell out of me -- so I decided to put this one down forever. No need for me to continue when all I can get is "annoyed" feeling, right

Edna That's too bad. At least you tried it out.

message 7: by Ami (new)

Ami I did try :). But nowadays my patience is not like it used to. If I get to few chapters (or at least 10% - 15% on my Kindle) and I couldn't get hooked, I'd better leave them. Have too many titles I want to read anyway

Edna Yeah, it makes sense. I'm sure we'll find yet another series in common somewhere down the road. :)