David Natiuk's Reviews > Finding God in the Movies: 33 Films of Reel Faith

Jan 19, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, christian, film-reviews
Read from January 18 to 19, 2011

It wasn't quite what I was expecting, more of a book on morality in film instead of covering films that have God (or lack thereof) as a central theme. Nothing wrong at all with this approach, but when you're covering topics like Racial Reconciliation in the "X-MEN" film... that's not exactly a film about Faith.

This was published in 2004, but the most recent movies are from 2002. Most are from the 1990's or 2000's, with a handful from earlier... so it's definitely not a recent update. To be fair, the movies that are picked for this book are covered in a number of ways, with a summary, supporting scriptures, discussion questions, and themes to explore.

The authors would certainly be considered "liberal" but they explain their position well at the beginning of the book - that this world is not whitewashed and neither are the movies that explore important themes and open the way for Christian discussion. While I tend to lean in that direction, there are certainly movies I will not watch for their violence or sexual explicitness. These themes can be covered adequately when implied, and without the graphic realism so often chosen by Hollywood.

Bottom-line is that I added a few movies to my queue with renewed interest, but wished for a more focused approach to the movie selections themselves. It's a good idea starter, however, and will continue to look for great movies that explore faith, God, religion and more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding God in the Movies.