Stacia's Reviews > Burr

Burr by Gore Vidal

Mar 12, 2011

Read from January 18 to March 11, 2011

I'm not very far into this dense work of fiction, but it's my first Vidal novel and I am FLOORED by his style. It's not at all what I expected. Five or ten years ago it would have sickened me to read it because his writing is so damn good, but I'm over my own artistic hangups now and can enjoy it.

=====
Done now. Although I got a tad bored at times (mainly due to my own ignorance of America's history), I cannot get over how much I loved this book. When I describe it to people who've never heard of Vidal's historical fiction series, aren't familiar with Vidal, or aren't familiar with Aaron Burr - nobody seemed to understand what I could like about this book. It sounds weird.

And it might be weird. But it's wonderful and timeless. America has changed little since Charlie was documenting Burr's life. Still politicians never admit to partisanship but are often accused of it. The same games are still being played. Vidal humanizes these worshiped heroes, and regardless how much is true, it's a step American must take to "win the future."
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burr.

03/20 marked as: read