Anaiz's Reviews > Mistress by Mistake

Mistress by Mistake by Maggie Robinson

Jan 25, 11

bookshelves: reviewed-on-blog
Read from January 18 to 19, 2011

3.5 Stars. This book starts quickly, Charlotte or Charlie is with her sister Deborah in Bayard's home. Deborah is Bayard's mistress and has decided to run off and get married (while taking everything Bayard bought for her of course). Charlie is to wait for Bayard's return and break the news to him. She has done this before and is weary of the situation so she decides to have a drink and ends up falling asleep in Deborah's bed. She wakes up to find that Bayard has returned and has confused her with her sister.... and he is naked. What a great set up! I thought this was pretty funny, I was smiling like crazy while reading. She tries to tell him but her body has other ideas and she gives in to desire. Afterwards she goes into "spinster mode" again and tells him where Deborah has gone and who she is (I should mention that the two sisters look a lot alike) but Bayard refuses to let her go. Why you may ask? Well it seems that Deborah in her haste to pack up and leave has taken a family heirloom that had once belonged to his recently deceased grandmother (whom he had adored) and the necklace was priceless. No she simply cannot go, she will stay until he gets his necklace back, afterall what if Charlie was in on this heist? I loved the interactions between these two, she is an anti-scandalous spinster who has cats and wears ugly caps on her beautiful hair and he is a bachelor who owns a house on a infamous street where mistresses are kept. Charlie's character irked me at times because it was obvious she enjoyed Bayard's ah *company* but she still refused to stay or admit she liked him. Come on Charlie, you aren't fooling anyone! Bayard's character was a lot more fun to read, he isn't haughty or snobby, he treats his servants well and is respectful to Charlie considering he thinks she helped steal from him. These two fall for eachother gradually, and again Charlie's stubborness made me roll my eyes. He practically lays everything out for her and yet she still hesistates. Maybe I just like reading Romance with the two characters head over heels for each other, it was an interesting change and it added more depth to the story. Bayard has been married once, to a woman who also looks like the two Fallon sisters, she comes back into the picture only to raise hell. What a horrible woman she is, and she does even more horrible things to him. I really cannot say how much I hated her character. I think she got off lightly in the end, she really deserved some harsh punishment. Other than that the ending was sweet and happy and full of love.... the best kind of ending!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress by Mistake.

01/19/2011 page 240