William Thomas's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Vol. 13: Too Far Gone

The Walking Dead, Vol. 13 by Robert Kirkman

After a long and arduous journey with these characters through these United States, I think it is really is finally time to throw in the towel.

There really isn't much to say about these books anymore. Where it was once the most brilliant piece of literature-as-graphic-novel, and I would have put the first few books right up there with the Watchmen, now, well, not so much. It feels old and run down. The characters feel worn out and ragged not because of their journey, but because Kirkman himself has run himself down.

It's become a trick of the light. He's been bending light around the airplane to make it disappear, using mirrors to make you see what he wants you to see. Because he's practically started to recycle the same basic plot and doing nothing new with it.

What's that you say? A stranger comes along who wants to help but turns out to be someone nefarious who wishes to harm the group? Or maybe they find a sanctuary and then things go wrong? or maybe you'll run into cannibals- again? over and over the same things happening, and now it has worn thin and I can see right through it. I'm finished with this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Vol. 13.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Katzman I felt like he totally started to meander right after they left the prison.

William Thomas Yeah, honestly, that was the climax of the series and everything after has been falling action. now it's just played out and I feel that since it has become such a huge success and still sells in high volume, he doesn't have the integrity to just call it quits.

Exhibit A in defense of him just wanting to make money now is the "WAlking Dead Weekly" which is a, what, $3.50 comic that comes out every week now on top of the monthly book? he's really making me not like him. (but that's fine because I hate every other book he does as well.)

message 3: by David (new)

David Katzman yeah, it's just like a lot of series on TV where they had a fixed ending, but when the show gets popular they stretch it out way too long.

I still like Invincible.

William Thomas I thought Invincible started off great, but then became really really bad for so long, I just stopped caring. However, I heard that Invincible's father has come back into the mix? I found the first few collections more desirable for having him in them. So maybe I'll give it another go...

message 5: by David (new)

David Katzman Yeah, he's been back for a while. Changed sides. But i guess i have invested in his character enough over time that i care about him and his gf. It's a guilty pleasure. Pure superhero candy.

message 6: by Dr. (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dr. The thing that suprises me is that you ranked the first few so high, but then it makes sense that your opinion would crash so drasticaly. I like your review and I agree that the writer and the story seem to be just slogging along pretty pointlessly, but hey, I'm just along for the ride.

William Thomas Dr. wrote: "The thing that suprises me is that you ranked the first few so high, but then it makes sense that your opinion would crash so drasticaly. I like your review and I agree that the writer and the stor..."

I enjoyed the first eight volumes to no end. And then the next few were just alright. And then it began to seem like a chore.