Cathy 's Reviews > The Down Home Zombie Blues

Jan 31, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, romance, read-in-2011
Read from January 29 to 31, 2011

I liked the characters, as I always do in Linnea Sinclair books. Her women are smart, strong, brave, and extremely capable, while maintaining their vulnerability, and Jorie is no exception. The men genuinely respect and admire the women and their abilities. In addition, Theo is a nice guy, one who's been hurt before and has his own vulnerabilities. I just didn't feel a lot of passion for the characters. There is almost no information about their pasts and very little to connect to. It's a bit like in the movie Speed, it all happens right here, with lots of exciting action, but not a lot of character development.

As for the plot, reading a Sinclair sci-fi novel set on Earth was a fun change of pace, but I didn't really feel that connected to the story either. The "zombies" (nothing to do with walking corpses) just didn't capture my imagination. The fact that Jorie knows 3 languages and one of them is so near English in both verbal and written formats was an annoying cop-out, but a minor point. I did enjoy the Star Trek references and little jokes throughout the book Overall, I liked it, it just didn't have the pizazz that other books by the author have had for me.

Edit: I just found out that Green Sign Media has optioned the book for a movie. I can totally see it! I hope the strength and humor of the excellent characters translates. It's more than just a shoot-'em-up, although that aspect should make it fun as well. Congratulations. Linnea! I'm looking forward to seeing it and I hope it's the first of many.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Down Home Zombie Blues.

01/29/2011 page 134
26.0% "Poor Theo is having a rotten vacation."
01/29/2011 page 143
28.0% "Cute reference to his aunt's use of "Poggle," where she and a few hundred of her cyberfriends discuss the latest romance, sci-fi and mystery novels." 1 comment

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-4 of 4) </span> <span class="smallText">(4 new)</span>

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user So agree with you on her heroines and heroes! :3

Cathy Her guys vary more in personality than her gals. But I really like her strong women best. So many books, even those written by women, don't have heroines who are truly confident and capable women who don't need to be rescued, although they appreciate the help. You know?

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user Really? I tend to notice a lot of women who can't be vulnerable. I'm really glad to see she allows that of her heroes and heroines.

Circuit I like this review. I tried clicking on the like button, but got an error. Anyway, your assessment is very accurate. You really can't hate Linnea Sinclair and always enjoy the writing, but also it no longer has the wow factor. Thanks for the movie bit. That is actually interesting...