Pants's Reviews > Dawn

Dawn by Octavia E. Butler

Mar 27, 14

bookshelves: female-author, lgbtq-characters, science-fiction, race-and-ethnicity
Read on June 19, 2011

I was afraid to start the Xenogenesis trilogy because I knew there’d be issues with consent. Some reviewers described it as graphic, horrific, disturbing—and they were right on all accounts, but Dawn wasn’t as graphic as I’d initially feared. That’s not to say it was an easy book to read. The Oankali violate personal boundaries, both physical and mental, and genuinely believe their actions service humanity. The Oankali strip Lilith of her right to her mind, her body, and a life of her choosing. What’s most disturbing is Lilith’s eventual acceptance of the Oankali. The reader has to wonder if Lilith made this decision on her own terms, or if the Oankali’s neurochemical manipulations led her to feeling the way she did. I’ll end by saying that Dawn ends on a very disturbing note. I was horrified as I read the final pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawn.

06/19/2011 page 193

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alisi ☆ needs to stop starting new books ☆ You linked the Sreph Myere book w/ the same name here.

Pants Alisi ☆ needs to stop starting new books ☆ wrote: "You linked the Sreph Myere book w/ the same name here."

Whoa. I remember checking the link when I first wrote this and it didn't lead to Breaking Dawn. This is like a sad joke. Thank you for letting me know!